Monday, June 25, 2012

Lens Transplant Ready

   Well tomorrow I will be going under the knife again. This will be my 10th surgery and I am very nervous. 28 years ago I had my lenses removed at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, NC. I still remember having patches, the continuance of eye drops and close supervision by family and doctors to make sure that things will heal properly.

   This time around I am having my right lens put in first. It is my "lazy" eye. I have already started putting in 3 types of eye drops to protect my eye, and to get ready for an open wound. Out of  all of my surgeries thus far, this is the most nerve wracking. I will no longer have to wear glasses, except maybe just reading glasses, but I will not have to worry about the heavy price tag of lenses, frames, and contacts. I told the doctor as long as I can still play video games way after my surgery, then I am ready for it.

   I have to say that I feel real comfortable with my doctor who will be performing my surgery. At the Storm Eye Institute here in Charleston, SC, Dr. Grice will be performing a life long dream of mine. I knew that in my daughters lifetime, that she would be able to have the lens transplant surgery. All of the test that I have had to go through was well worth knowing, that I am a candidate.

   The concerns that I have the most are another dislocated lens,  detached retina, or even blindness. When you have a surgery anything can go wrong. There are no guarantees at all. All you can do is pray and think of positive thoughts.

   In summary life is full of risk. If my doctors are confident and I trust them with doing the procedure I know that I am in good hands. Note though, that if you don't feel comfortable with any type of surgery or have a bad feeling about a doctor, don't take a risk. You are your own best judge to anything you do in life.

Have a Blessed Day

No comments:

Post a Comment