Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Joint Pain Today

   Today's weather here in Charleston, SC hasn't been the best for my joints. I have had numerous surgeries due to having loose joints:
  • Right collar bone surgery
  • 2 right knee surgeries
  • 3 left knee surgeries
   Sometimes my knees ache from the change in weather, but recently I was diagnosed with Scoliosis and Left foot tendinitis. With Marfan Syndrome from what I have heard from others, they developed scoliosis at a very young age, but in my case I have developed it later in life. I noticed upper back pain a year and a half ago. It was the only thing that I didn't want to develop from Marfan Syndrome, but in my case I did. I rather have my knees hurting than to have back pain.
   I was told by orthopedic doctors here in Charleston, that I have a curvature in the upper part of my back. Due to its location you are always using those muscles, so it is very hard to relax them. If my knee is hurting I can always prop it up on a pillow, but for my back I am not able to relax it. Now I am in Physical Therapy for my pain relief. I do simple exercises and I have therapeutic massages, which help only for a short period of time. I try to go swimming every other day to help strengthen my muscles as well. Thank goodness I love to swim.
   Since my back isn't getting better the change in weather just makes it worse. I am not able to do a lot of things with my kids or around the house. I am a mother of a 7 year old daughter and a 2 1/2 year old son, and they both are very active children.On days like today I wish I was Bionic Woman. Give me titanium joints, a knew back, and we will call it a day. I would love to go one day without pain, so now I am a weather predictor.
   I have traveled all throughout the US and to various countries and the only place where my joints didn't hurt as much was San Diego, CA. We were stationed at MCAS (Marine Corps Air Station) Miramar. Oh how I miss thee. The dry heat and steady temperatures did not affect my joint, whereas here in the south my joint are calling out saying, "It's time to go back to sunny San Diego". I really hope tomorrow is a better day, because today I have been set back, as far as chores goes. So if you have any type of chronic pain you are not alone. No pain no gain right?

No comments:

Post a Comment